Don’t forget about the landscape lighting! It shouldn’t be an afterthought. Our landscaping is best when it is not only beautiful in the daytime but enjoyable in the night time too! And safety...our landscaping should not only be safe in the day time, but it should be safe at night time too! Well, for that matter, everything about our landscaping should not neglect night time use.
Landscape lighting design will take into consideration purposes of safety, social gathering uses, night time recreation, and the illumination of paths, patios and porches.
There are many types of lighting fixtures and styles available today.
Here are some ideas
- Use a granite post for a light pole
- Attach lights on a retaining wall that shine downward (shown in the photograph)
- Scatter whimsical path lights along a walkway
- Be sure to consider being able to navigate stairs safely
- Make sure your driveway is easy to drive on at night
- The front door should be well lit for guests
- Install a ‘ribbon’ type light underneath an overhanging counter top in the outdoor kitchen
- Shine some spotlights on the outdoor fireplace
- Place “Up Lights”to shine up into an ornamental tree in the planting bed
- Have a light illuminate your house number post
- Don’t forget about lights on the dock
So, when planning out your landscaping, don’t forget the landscape lighting!