Design of a simple yet elegant front entry planting bed
Simple, elegant, effective and beautiful are just a few words that describe the design of this front entry planting bed.
A carefully thought out design is key.
Let’s run through the design ideas in this example:
First, the space is obviously limited between the porch and the driveway. So, limited space and snow piles from winter at the edge of the driveway are key concerns.
This simple yet effective planting design includes:
1. An ornamental tree near the end of the porch where there’s the most bed space. This vertical feature located near the corner of the building helps to ‘anchor’ the structure visually to the ground.
2. There are a few lower shrubs surrounding the base of that tree. These pretty maroon-leaved shrubs also flower in the spring. Paired with the ornamental tree, they offer a ‘layered’ look to this bed which adds tremendous visual impact.
3. Along the porch there’s a row of background shrubs which will form the ‘backbone’ of this planting group. They will only grow to about midway up the porch railing in height. This way, the view of people sitting on the porch won’t be blocked.
4. In front of the background shrubs, there’s a group of perennial day lilies near the edge of the driveway. These tough little plants a perfect for this location. They are not harmed by winter snow piles, and they stay lower in height than the shrubs to the rear. They bloom twice during the growing season too!
5. There are 3 accent boulders in the bed. Two of which serve double duty to deter vehicles from being tempted to get their wheels into the bed.
6. Next to the steps, there’s a yellowy green evergreen shrub that offers 4-season color.
The plants in this bed are also chosen for their offering of progressive blossoms or interest in all of the seasons. Spring blooms, summer color, fall hues and a yellowish green evergreen for the winter along with the interesting branching structures.
As a complete look, it is simple yet elegant.